In 1930, the Government of Pakistan decided to establish the National Library (of
Pakistan)at Karachi to be operated under the Directorate of Archives and Libraries
. A modest beginning was made by setting up the library in Block No 76 of the Pakistan
secretariat at Karachi.In a parallel development that followed the tragic death
of Pakistan‘s first Prime Minster in 1951, the Liaquat Memorial Library (LML) had
been founded by voluntary contribute in commemoration of the late Liaquat Ali Khan’s
services to the nation.
In 1953 a proposal was made by the trustees of the Liaquat Memorial Library to amalgamate
it with the National Library (NL). The Government of Pakistan agreed to this proposal
and gave effect to the decision in January 1954. Consequently the collection of
the National Library was transferred to the Merewether Tower where the LML had exists.
The newly amalgamated library was now re-named the Liaquat National Library (LNL)
. The LNL continued to be used in this Building for nearly a decade until 1964 when
it moved to a rented residential bungalow at 34-J/6 PECHS, Karachi. Meanwhile, the
government remained conscious of the importance of a permanent Building for the
LNL. A proposal for the construction of such a purpose – built building was submitted
in 1957 on the basis of which preliminary designs were prepared in 1959 by Mr. A.A
Mirza, Senior Architect of the Pakistan Public Works Department. Finally the Development
Plan of the Library found its overdue place in the Second Five Year Plan for 1960-65
and the Economic Committee of the Cabinet gave its approval to the expenditure of
Rs 2.73 million in September 1960. The design of the new building was finally approved
in early 1965 and construction began in June of that year. In January 1969 that
the new building became operational.
Although the NL was originally intended to serve as the National Library of Pakistan
(NL) but with the shifting of the capital from Karachi to Islamabad a new national
library be established in the new capital. As a consequence of this decision, the
LNL reverted back to its original nomenclature, the Liaquat Memorial Library. On
February 28th 1986 the LML was handed over by the Federal Government to the Culture
& Tourism Department of the Government of Sindh with which it remains as its flagship
Details of Holdings:
- Books 16636 (including 14252 Children Books)
- Manuscripts - Nil
- Archival record - Nil
- Newspapers 26 (periodical 37)
- Personal letters/diaries - Nil
- American Discovery Central Computer Printer along with for children
- Rare Books 6000 Nos
- Arabic Books 3500 Nos
Back volumes of Newspapers June & Dawn from 1954
Facilities for public
- Reference and Research Services /Telephone Enquiries.
- Inter- Library Lawn Service.
- Photo Duplication Service.
- Children Services.
- Separate study room for female readers.
Separate room for C.S.S students
- A separate reading hall for reader who read their own books only.
- Installation of air conditioner in the reading hall.
Computerization of library materials.
Address : Liaquat Memorial Library, Stadium Road, Karachi
Phone No : 9230116 & 9230117